Tiny Trees: Art & Stories
Join our tiniest of Nature Niños as we explore nature at Shady Lakes in the North Valley of Albuquerque.
Thank you to the Outdoor Equity Fund, through the New Mexico Economic Development Department, Outdoor Recreation Division & the McCune Charitable Foundation or supporting our work in the community:
What is Tiny Trees?
- Open for ages 4-8 years old
- A 100% outdoors class to explore and learn
Each week focuses on a different lesson, including:
- Plant & Wildlife identification
- Fishing & Archery experiences
- Planet's natural and ecological facts and changes
- Animals, flowers, insects
- Play time and Story time
Our programming integrates social-emotional benefits which nature provides through individual nature journaling time and by giving children a bountiful amount of free time to explore nature at their own pace, find topics that interest them, climb trees, count leaves and get dirty!!
We provide hands-on experiences to learn about these topics presented by Nature Ninos staff or by one of our knowledgeable community partners. These include creating art projects, exploring the natural space, investigating sample materials, or playing with friends.
About the Class
Class Days & Times:
Thursday AM Session (9:30AM - 12:00PM)
Thursday PM Session (1:00PM - 3:30PM)
Friday PM Session (1:00PM - 3:30PM)
Each class has a maximum limit of 16 students.
A class needs a minimum of 10 students registered for the class to occur.
Classes cost $75-$225 per semester (fee details on registration form)
A Typical Class Schedule:
- Activity & Story Time
- Nature Exploration Topic
- Art Exploration
- Group Game/Free Exploration
- Depart Location
Notes for Parents:
- The first class meeting will be a short class introduction. This includes a MANDATORY 30-min introductory session for parents/guardians to meet the instructors and discuss details for the semester.
- There will be some additional locations away from our home classroom at Shady Lakes. See below for additional locations.
- Family Hike Days REQUIRE a parent/guardian to attend the whole class - other siblings may attend as well.
- One volunteer-in-class date is required per registration. A sign-up form will be sent to families two weeks prior to classes starting.
- Parents/Guardians may stay on-site or drop-off and return for the class duration. If you stay on-site, we provide a designated space where you can encourage your student's autonomous growth while observing the class, meeting other parents, and be present to support your child if needed.
After you register, an email will be sent to confirm your submission.
As the class start date approaches, Nature Niños will email specifics and details about the upcoming class. This email will contain all information needed for the semester. This will include drop off/pick up times, confirmed dates and locations, volunteer needs, and instructor introductions. Please review this class handbook.
Most Nature Niños classes are based out of Shady Lakes in Albuquerque's North Valley.
Shady Lakes: 11033 4th St. NW Albuquerque NM 87114
A few classes will meet at an additional locations as a field trip, including:
Alameda Open Space: 9521 Rio Grande Blvd NW, Albuquerque, NM 87114
Los Ranchos Agri-Nature Center: 4920 Rio Grande Blvd NW, Los Ranchos, NM 87107
Local hiking trails on our family hiking day.
Parents are responsible for transportation to and from all events.
Restrooms in Outdoor Spaces
Many outdoor spaces include restroom facilities, but when you get off the beaten path, that situation changes a bit.
Most of our places include access to either a building facility or a port-a-potty with hand sanitizer or handwashing stations. Shady Lakes is set-up with a port-a-potty, handwashing station, and hand sanitizer.
In locations that do not have restroom access, Nature Niños provides a sanitary and private portable toilet with a privacy tent, toilet paper, and hand sanitizer.
For all locations, Nature Niños staff is not allowed to assist your child with restroom duties such as wiping bottoms or buttoning pants. Please dress your child in clothing that they can easily navigate.
If your child does need this assistance, a parent/guardian MUST be on-site.
Cancellation and Inclement Weather Policy:
Because we are a 100% outdoor program, we plan to have class in all kinds of weather. However, when conditions become hazardous like lightning storms, icy roads, and extremely high winds, this can create undo dangers in our outdoor spaces.
Should a class need to be cancelled, an instructor will notify through email with this update. Thank you for your understanding.
For all other classes, please come prepared in proper weather clothing!